There is evidence that North Andover has been inhabited for more than 8,000 years. The Weir Hill area was likely an encampment and home for Native Americans due to the abundant natural resources associated with Lake Cochichewick and the Merrimack Valley. The name Weir Hill comes from the anadromous fish run that historically ran up Cochichewick Brook into the lake.
North Andover was first settled, as Andover, in 1646, when the Indian town of Cochichawicke was purchased by the Rev Mr. John Woodbridge (1613-17 March 1694/95) for "£6 and a coat." On 26 May 1647, the General Court appointed John Osgood and Thomas Hale to lay out a road from Andover to Haverhill. The town of North Andover was officially incorporated 7 April 1855. North Andover originally was the political and religious center of a larger 17th century settlement which today would include Andover, North Andover, and the eastern part of Lawrence. First called Cochiechewick Plantation for the tall trees and rivers, the area was reserved by the General Court in 1634 for an inland plantation; the first settlement was established in 1643 by residents of the coastal towns of Ipswich andNewbury, including the Rev. Mr. John Bradstreet, a minister from Ipswich, John Osgood, John Stevens, William Ballard, John Lovejoy and Thomas Chandler. Although there were boundary changes throughout the 18th century, it was not until 1855 that Andover split into two separate towns, Andover and North Andover. North Andover includes the Old Center which was the North Parish According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the town was $87,076, and the median income for a family was $113,796. Males had a median income of $66,793 versus $38,495 for females. The per capita income for the town was $34,335. 2.9% of the population and 2.1% of families were below the poverty line. 2.7% of those under the age of 18 and 4.1% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.